Dates Industry and Technology Chair (CDIT, established in 2010 at King Saud University) has focused in innovations in utilizing dates and other palm residuals into added value products. Some of CDIT innovations:
- Extending the shelf life of fresh yellow Barhi fruits up to 6 months in controlled atmosphere storage.
- Developing high fiber low sugar dates products (natural healthy biscuits and powder).
- Developing pilot scale instrument to produce high quality dates syrup.
- Developing biofuel from dates and palm tree residuals.
- Developing Global database of knowledge related to palm tree sector.